Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Word Choice.

Many days I walk away knowing exactly why I went into teaching, I feel like everything has gone according to plan, and even if I was not able to go according to plan, because let’s face it sometimes as teachers we have to improvise, I at least feel that everybody walked out of the room with something to think about. Today was not one of those ‘run smoothly’ days.

Third period I had my year 9 class, freshmen as we would call them in the US. While they are not the most mature human beings, they are typically a fun class to work with. Half way through most classes I find myself needing some sort of energy shake because they are an excitable class, the slightest side comment could get them off track, but MOST days with some guidance they find their track again and we are back in business. Again, today was not one of those days either. Things started out alright. No class ever starts with “SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FAGGOT” or “YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS” but some classes certainly end that way. Today WAS one of those days.

The lesson was on word choice, specifically in Shakespeare, however the kids were having a bit of trouble with it and understandably, going through the motions of literary techniques and devices can be boring. I decided to try to get my year 9’s to connect on a more personal level of word choice by again relating it to music. I figured since 99.9% of my class comes in every day with their ipods in, that they must actually be LISTENING to something. First I wrote on the board “But, soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the East, and Juliet is the sun.” I asked the class what it meant and they diligently decoded shakespearespeak into normal human talk. Then I asked the class “Well, why didn’t Shakespeare just say… “Yeah, Juliet is pretty hot” The class laughed, one of my favorite sounds. “Jake” a smart boy with a lot of potential, a charismatic personality, but a deep lazy streak replied, “…Because he was using specific words that would sound more interesting.” Bingo, nicely done “Jake”.

I asked the students to open their laptops and to spend the next 10 or so minutes thinking about a song that really grabs them lyrically. Then they were to type a few of the lyrics of the song that they felt spoke to them and write a brief 4-5 sentence response on who they felt the musician was speaking to, what they were trying to say, and why the words they chose were effective.

“Any song we want Miss?” Asked “Stephen”
“Yes Stephen, ANY song you want.” Stephen sat at his desk with a devious smirk on his face. Stephen doesn’t ever do his work. Actually, correction: Stephen isn’t USED to doing his work, but in my class, he will do it, even if it means altering the way I approach it with him, and even if it means I can only get him to connect for 15 minutes. I knew Stephen was going to choose an inappropriate song just to see what buttons he could push, and I also knew I had two choices: I could make him choose a different song, or I could take a gamble and work with what he choose. If you know me at all, you won’t have to ask which choice I sided with.

“So what do you have for me Stephen?”
“Fuck the police by NWA, but look I wrote it out like this.” Stephen pointed to his paper and on his paper he had written ‘f**k the police’, at least he was being courteous.
“Good Stephen.” Stephen looked at me a little confused. “I can’t tell you what music you listen to, and if this is what you listen to, let’s do something with it. Why would NWA say this?”
“I donno.” Stephen mumbled.
“You chose the song, you listen to it, what do you think it means?”
“I think it means he thinks the police are racist.” LIGHTBULB!!!!! I almost jumped up and down at the thought of Stephen connecting racism to a song about hating the police, by an early 90’s rap group. Ecstatic.
“Why do you think he uses the f-word? Why not just say he hates the police?”
“Because it’s more powerful, it makes a statement.” He replied. AGAIN, EUREKA!!! Stephen willingly wrote his answers down and when I went around the room to ask people to share, he voluntarily raised his hand, a gesture I’ve never seen from him.

You may be thinking geez, not such a bad day, but trust me I’ve been focusing on Stephen’s achievement all afternoon whenever I’ve had negative thoughts about what happened next.

-two girls had an altercation and “Amanda” yelled across the room to “Sharon” to shut up and that she had no friends
-“Mark” said the word “Faggot” approximately 30 times, and when I asked him politely to pick a different word he said “why miss, a faggot is a bundle of sticks according to the dictionary.”
-“Amanda” then told “Stephen” to pull up his pants, because like every teenage boy he was wearing his pants below his bottom. “Stephen”, who had FINALLY shown signs of completing work, looked up and shouted, “shut the fuck up” to Amanda.

I guess swearing really is more effective.
Amanda said nothing else.
I did.

I slammed my book down on the desk and watched as the entire class went from chaos to complete stillness. Literally, nobody moved. I’d feel confident in saying nobody breathed for a minute.
"Enough." I looked around the room as 15 sets of eyes gazed back at me. “You don’t have to LIKE each other, but when you step into this classroom, you WILL respect each other. If you want to go out to the cantine after class and have a go, that’s none of my business, but for the 80 minutes that you are sitting here, you will NOT treat each other like this. It’s rude to each other, and it’s rude to me, do you understand?” Everybody nodded.

Now, if you think I overreacted then so be it, but keep in mind I had firmly, but calmly asked the class several times if they would be respectful, and I will not tolerate derogatory remarks in my classroom. Period. The way I gained their attention was unfortunate in my eyes, and involved raising my voice which I rarely do. Actually, I wouldn’t even say “I can count the number of times I’ve raised my voice on one hand” because it happens that rarely. With that being said, I will never allow that kind of disrespect in my classroom. Every student has a right to walk into a classroom and feel safe and comfortable around their peers. That means if a student is calling another student a faggot, telling them to shut the fuck up, or telling them they have no friends, it is not only my job but it is my duty to put an end to it.

Comic relief was supplied 5 minutes after when I was looking for my Romeo and Juliet book and a student lightheartedly chimed, “its right here Miss! Where you last slammed it!” Again, the class laughed and it was back to my favorite sound.

~Carley B

7 comments:

  1. So proud of you, girl. You are already an amazing teacher, I actually got teary-eyed at the end of your story.... I think you handled the situation beautifully.....keep up the great work, can't wait to read the next installment :)
    -Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo addictive.
    Hahahaha
    Got to love that kid what a tension breaker.
    Sounds like something you would have said
    look forward to the call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahahaaaaa so sorry that was me
    Hey we all know about THAT word LOL You handled it with grace and dignity well done
    look at e-mail
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carley, you are an inspiration. What a mature young woman you have become. My neice Jennifer couldn't even believe it was "little Carley." (She's the one that's the principal in MA and I sent your link to her.) Keep up the awesome work. We are all so proud of you. Love Gerry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I wouldn't recommend yelling as a normal teaching strategy, I think what you did in this situation is very similar to what the artists were doing in some of the songs your students were selecting. Sometimes you have to step out of line to make a point. As Stephen put it, "Because it's more powerful. It makes a statement." and in that case, a statement was certainly in order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Gerry! That means a lot to me. I miss you all incedibly but this experience is teaching me so much about myself and what kind of teacher I want to become!

    Meg thanks for the feed back, always happy to get your feedback. I absolutely hate raising my voice, I wouldn't have even called it yelling, but I think because I had never raised my voice when I did it was quite effective and they took me seriously. I was less upset when the boy made the american comment I wrote to you about, because I am an adult and can handle a situation like that, but it was just so upsetting to see them insulting each other, and it's something I will never be ok with I guess! So happy you're following along!

    Carley

    ReplyDelete